Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year Resolution

Oh for holiness!
Oh for more of God in my soul!
Oh this pleasing pain!
It makes my soul press after God.
-David Brainerd

I have been blessed, we have been blessed with a new year, a new year to glorify our God, to be a living sacrafice for Him. What a gift. I pray that this new year will be a year of consecration, of holiness. I seek joy on a daily basis, but what I should be seeking is holiness, is more of Him and less of me and in that there I will find joy, a joy that can be found no where else.

"To pursue holiness is to move toward joy-joy infinitely greater than any earthly delights can offer.

To resist holiness or to be halfhearted about its pursuit is to forfeit true joy and to settle ofr something less than that God intoxication for which we were created."
*

I have been resisting holiness, had a halfheart in my pursuit and therefore forfeiting true joy... daily settling for less. I am tired of holding on to my sin and unholiness and long to give it all to Him no matter how painful, uncomfortable or radical it may be... He is not only worth it but deserving of ALL of me.

But as he who called you is holy,
you also be holy in all your conduct,
since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
1 Peter 1:15-16

A prayer* for the new year...

Oh, God,
show me more of Your holiness.
Show me more of my sinfulness.
Help me to hate sin and to love righteousness as You do.
Grant me a deeper conviction of sin
and a more thorough spirit of repentence.
And make me holy as You are holy.


No comments: