Thursday, November 8, 2007

Where the heart is?

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:21

This morning I set out my little index card on my kitchen counter ready for my humble scratches of thankfulness. I labeled it and began to engrave the ink onto the lines starting with number 7. Later in the morning I thought it would be a good idea to hear what Superman's thankful list might look like, so I took out another index card and began scratching his list:

Toys, money, trapoline, backyard, bike, scooter, skateboard, Jesus, food, movies, soccer, desert, plates (to eat on), water, trees, grass, God, neclace that I wear, lights (to see), earth, video games, cup (to get water in), bible, family, fridgerator (to keep our food cold), windows (to keep bugs out of our house), pens (to write stuff down), tvs, washing machines, birds, spiders, lizards, clothes (so we are not naked), sand table, Soren (friend), Jace (cousin), all my cousins, all my friends, my mom and dad and bowls.

Now you have to keep into consideration that we were sitting in the kitchen :0). I didn't say a word as to lead his heart anywhere that it wasn't. I realized that being a kid his mind is mostly in the material but was suprised at some of his list. Simple things that we do not usually think of such as windows so the bugs won't get in, I am very thankful for that and birds, spiders and lizards to keep the bugs from overtaking the world. I glanced at my thankful list and realized that all morning I was trying to dig deep to find mine. I couldn't get past some very unimportant things that fill my life and make it more comfortable and I looked up from my self and saw where my heart was... not where it should be. Looking at my daily life I realize it is misplaced there as well.

Glancing at Superman's list I can't help but notice the hindrances... the many things that are between the things of God. I know he is only 7 but I believe that it starts now, it is now that his heart is listening, it now that it is growing and that it is willing to follow. I can not knowingly leave his beating heart to itself and hope that it will all by itself learn how to decipher what it should love and what it should not. I can not leave it to suffocated by the many things of this world and I so I know today that some things need to change and number one is me and the direction of my very own heart.

My Gift List continued...

7. For woman who are inspired to live a life after God's heart and to encourage His daughters along the way as their calling.
9. For sweet hours of slumber...
10. Gleeful screams from behind closed doors in the morning...
11. Humilty...
12. Quiet times spent with T-rex...
14. That we are not left alone in this world but have His promise

No comments: