Friday, November 16, 2007

Giving Thanks Friday

I sat at my kitchen table this morning with Superman and T-Rex as we did our "table time" for class. While Superman worked on his spelling I searched the word for "thankful" verses. I read through them letting them sink in and bring my heart and mind to praise. I read part of one to the boys: "Sing praises to the Lord, Oh you His saints, and give thanks to His holy name. For His anger is but for a moment and His favor is for a lifetime." Psalm 30: 30:4-5 Praise flowed. I don't think Superman and T-rex felt the same sweeping gratitude that leaped in my soul but I hope they experienced a glimpse of it through me.

We sat their together reflecting on all of the wonderful blessings that fill our life when my thoughts were turned to our health and I remembered all of the children and mothers who are suffering all over the world from illness or losses from those illnesses. I am thankful for a few of them personally for constantly turning my eyes to the Savior and encouraging my faith greatly.


We got down from the table and visited them and prayed over them...

Sean
Ethan
Noah
Heather

Then we prayed together giving thanks to the One who is in control of these families, who is their Refuge and their Rock. (Psalm 31:1-5) We prayed for His continual presence in their lives and in ours.

I will leave you with a prayer I read this morning that dug deep into me.
(be sure not to pass over it leaving it behind but letting it spill out to God in praise)

O my God,


Thou fairest, greatest, first of all objects,
my heart admires, adores, love thee,
for my little vessel is as full as it can be,
and I would pour out all that fullness before thee in ceaseless flow.

When I think upon and converse with thee
ten thousand delightful thoughts spring up,
ten thousands sources of pleasure are unsealed,
ten thousand refreshing joys spread over my heart,
crowding into every moment of happiness.

I bless thee for the soul thou hast created,
for adorning it, sanctifying it,
though it is fixed in barren soil;
for the body thou hast given me,
for preserving its strength and vigour,
for providing senses to enjoy delights,
for the ease and freedom of my limbs,
for hands, eyes, ears that do thy bidding,
for thy royal bounty providing my daily support,
for a full table and overflowing cup,
for appetite, taste, sweetness,
for social joys of relatives and friends,
for ability to serve others,
for a heart that feels sorrows and necessities,
for a mind to care for my fellow-men,
for opportunities of spreading happiness around,
for loved ones in the joys of heaven,
for my own expectation of seeing thee clearly.


I love thee above the powers of language to express,
for what thou art to thy creatures.

Increase my love, O my God, through time and eternity.

Give Thanks to God today for the many blessings that are surrounding you today and then head over to Kelli's to see other Giving Thanks posts!

No comments: