Friday, June 27, 2008

The Quieter Disciplines of the Christian Life

I have been convicted through a bible study I am doing with the youth girls at our church. I told them that even though the title of the book we are going through is A Young Woman after God's Heart it doesn't mean that I am exempt from the Holy Spirit's piercing sword, that I would be in this study along side them as their "leader". Last week we looked at Martha and Mary and how Mary had a heart that was devoted, set apart for God and it is assumed that she might enjoy the quieter disciplines of the Christian life and then this week was A Heart that Love's God's Word where we went into these quiet disciplines. I admit that I am not in a place in my life where I have a disciplined Christian life as to having a devoted time each day to be hidden away from the distractions of the world to be with God, sad but true. I have always been one to understand the importance of being alone with God every day but lately I have found sleep to be more entertaining or been fooled into this idea. My heart's desire is to find a place to retreat to each morning just to be in His presence, in His word and in prayer. I know what I must do and it is as simple as just doing it throwing out all of the excuses that I find under my pillow each morning! This morning I opened and closed my eyes to the sound of my alarm 4 times... yes 4 times I reset my alarm from 5:15 to 7:00!! Disgraceful. My biggest sacrafice at this time is the pleasure of sleep and the pain of sleep you see because I do not like to go to bed early (anything earlier than 10:30) and getting up any earlier than 8:00 right now. I use to be so disciplined that I got up each morning between 4:30 and 5:00 for my quiet time with the Lord, where did my discipline go I wonder. I am working on getting it back and am saying with Joshua each day... Choose this day whom you will serve... in my case God or sleep?

Have a wonderful day and reflect on these verses:

Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. (Genesis 19:27)

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice, in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. (Psalm 5:3)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35)

JOYfully in Him,
post signature

2 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Wonderful devotion, Kelli. I know that I need to spend more time in just quiet and listening with the Lord.

Robin said...

The Lord has been waking me up - before alarms go off, just as the sun comes up, etc and I still go back for more zzz's. I struggle right with you. It ridiculous because I know my day is better when I start it with Him. Pray for me and I'll pray for you. Don't forget that big glass of water right before bed.